The Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje has reacted to the resignation of his deputy, Hafiz Abubakar.
He claimed that the former deputy governor spent over N150million on foreign and local trips.
The governor said this to counter Abubakar’s claims before his resignation yesterday that Ganduje had not been paying his allowances.
Mr Ganduje said his former deputy resigned over fears of imminent impeachment process by 30 out of the 40-member Kano state House of Assembly over “false, unfounded allegations and undermining the state government”.
Mr Abubakar tendered his resignation earlier on Sunday, citing irreconcilable differences with the governor.
The ex-deputy governor had in the past lamented the governor’s failure to pay allowances due to office for several months.
In a statement by the state commissioner for Information, Youth and Culture, Mohammed Garba, the governor said the former deputy governor was also accused of making unguarded comments capable of causing disaffection particularly in the ruling All Progressive Congress , APC, and the state in general.
“The deputy governor, who doubled as commissioner for Education, Science, Technology and Innovation, has publicly forsake the Ganduje Administration and swore allegiance to his political Godfather, Senator Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso,” it said.
The statement also debunked allegations over threat to his life and that of members of his immediate family which is regarded as unbecoming considering his position as no. two citizen with a provision for statutory security detail.
On non payment of allowances, the state government said in one year alone, the former deputy governor was paid over N120million.
“Based on available records, in 2017 alone, the sum of over N120, 000, 000.00 was paid to him as travelling allowance both within and outside the country, while in 2018, over N30, 000,000.00 million was paid to him for various travelling allowances.
“Of recent, in July, to be precise, the sum of N7,409,575.00 was released to the former deputy governor to travel to the United Kingdom to receive an Honourary Degree from the University of Reading; the sum of N7,800,000.00 was also paid as his travelling allowance to Khartoum, Sudan for the convocation ceremony of the University of Africa; for a trip to the United Kingdom for the World Education Forum, the sum of N8,509,000.00 was paid to him; while his trip to Saudi Arabia for his daughters’ graduation was also sponsored by the state government, among other privileges extended to him,” the statement added.
The governor therefore challenged the former deputy governor to show proof on allegations that the state government had committed resources to sponsor rally in support of his removal from office, adding that the gravity of the allegation may prompt the government to take appropriate action.
“The former deputy governor ought to have landed safely and quietly instead of making unsubstantiated allegations just to draw attention,” he added.