Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, on Thursday, flouted the COVID-19 guidelines as he attended the final burial of Flying Officer Tolulope Arotile, in Abuja without wearing a face mask.
Arotile, who was Nigeria’s first female combat helicopter pilot, died last week in a freak accident at the Nigerian Air Force Base in Kaduna State.
Top military officials including the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin; the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Abubakar Sadique; and other dignitaries all wore masks in compliance with the Covid-19 guidelines issued by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
However, Bello, who represented Arotile’s home state of Kogi at the event, was clad in a white agbada and cap without a face mask.
The governor’s wife, who sat next to him, however, wore a mask.
- Nigeria Records 457 More COVID-19 Cases, Total Infections Now 44,890
- Unbelievable! Woman Transforms After Leaving Her Toxic Boyfriend, Plans To Partake In Pageantry (Photos)
- Nigerian Man Engages Lady After Becoming Friends On Twitter 2 Years Ago (Photos)
- Abuja Security Officers Shave Off #RevolutionNow Protester’s Hair With Knife, Broken Bottle(Photos)
- Lady Finally Graduates With 1st Class After Her Dad Refused To Train Her In The University
In several photos posted on social media, the governor is seeing exchanging pleasantries with VIPs without wearing a mask.
Bello has been having a publicised feud with the NCDC as regards the COVID-19 guidelines.
He has constantly denied the existence of COVID-19 in Kogi State despite being confronted with evidence by federal health officials.
Earlier in the month, the governor said COVID-19 was a hoax.
The governor had said, “Do not give in to fear and evil of the issues of COVID-19. It is a disease that has been imported, propagated and forced on the people for no just cause. Nothing kills faster than fear. I urge you all not to accept cut and paste as COVID-19.
“It is only out to create fear, panic, and pandemic, orchestrated to reduce and shorten the lifespan of the people. Whether medical experts and scientists, believe it or not, COVID-19 is out to shorten the life spans of the people. It is a disease propagated by force for Nigerians to accept.”