Receptionist Beth Richards has been abused by tourists (Picture: Wessex)
A holiday park worker has pleaded with visitors to observe social distancing despite being abused as a result.
Receptionist Beth Richards has penned an open letter to tourists in Cornwall who left her in tears for trying to enforce safety measures to protect against coronavirus.
She said she has been met with anger on a regular basis by visitors who believe the area is ‘immune’ to Covid-19 because it has one of the lowest infection rates in the UK.
Richards, who doesn’t want to reveal which holiday park she works for, decided to speak out after hearing other workers also faced more abuse this summer.
Beth Richards has penned an open letter to tourists in Cornwall (Picture: Wessex)
Thousands of Brits have flocked to the south west with the easing of lockdown restrictions resulting in a staycation boom.
Richards, of Truro, Cornwall, published her pleas for kindness on Facebook after a challenging day when several guests at the holiday park where she works left her in floods of tears.
Beth Richards’ letter to tourists in full:
A letter from a very defeated receptionist.
Hi. I’m Beth and I’m a holiday park receptionist here in Cornwall.
I am here to clear a few things up:
1. YES, you are correct, without you and your custom I may very well be out of a job right now BUT you must remember that without us you would be without a holiday, it’s a two way street.
2. NOWHERE is ‘IMMUNE’ to COVID-19. The amount of times I have been told by you that you’ve come down to Cornwall because we are immune to it and you just want a break from everything is absurd.
3. SOCIAL DISTANCING STILL APPLIES. See the above point, we are not immune and we certainly do not have the capacity in our hospital for you to act like we are. For your own safety as well as ours, please try and keep your distance.
4. WE ARE STILL HUMAN. This brings me to my main point. I have come home from what was a reasonably short and supposedly easy shift today feeling totally defeated and lost for words. We cannot control Covid. I am not the creator of the rules so please don’t belittle me and call me stupid, idiotic or a b*tch just because you have to book a slot for the swimming pool or need to wear a mask for a mere 5 minutes in the shop. You wouldn’t like it if I responded to you in the same way.
5. Lastly, ENJOY YOUR STAY! Be grateful that in these times you have been lucky enough to travel and have a slight sense of normality in booking a holiday. For many people this is something they could only have wished for. We love having you here and are grateful that you are keeping our economy up and running and we thank you for it.
BUT PLEASE. NEXT TIME YOU GO TO TAKE YOUR ANGER OUT ON A STAFF MEMBER ANYWHERE YOU GO. REMEMBER. WE ARE HUMANS TOO.