Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will miss yet another Christmas at home with their royal relatives — though they will be heading back to Britain after the holiday for a legal matter, according to a report.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be in the UK for the Jan. 11 start of Markle’s High Court case against the owners of the Daily Mail newspaper — arriving earlier so they can first quarantine for 14 days, Vanity Fair said.
But rather than timing it to spend Christmas with Harry’s family, they plan to spend their first Christmas in their new mansion in Montecito, California, sources told the mag.
It will be the second year running that the couple has skipped the UK at Christmas, with the pair last year in Canada, where they reportedly cooked up the final details of their planned Megxit.
Their latest absence is particularly hard for Harry’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, who hasn’t seen her 1-year-old great-grandson, Archie, for more than a year, the mag said.
A source blamed the pandemic and the need to quarantine when arriving in the UK for making “things quite difficult.”
“Global travel has been made very complicated by the coronavirus pandemic and at the moment the Duke has no plans to travel back to the UK, certainly not before Christmas,” the source told Vanity Fair.
There had earlier been speculation that they would be returning for the holidays after aides were spotted seemingly prepping the couple’s Frogmore Cottage home in Windsor.
That is where the family will be based during Markle’s court battle with the Daily Mail for printing letters between her and her estranged father, Thomas Markle, over his no-show at her wedding, Vanity Fair said.
The duchess is required by law to appear in person for the case, which is estimated to cost her more than $2.3 million, the mag said.
It could also potentially see her coming face to face with her father, whom she has not seen in more than two years.