The Flying Eagles of Nigeria on Sunday played a 1-1 draw with Ivory Coast in their group B opener of the WAFU B U-20 tournament in Benin Republic.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Eagles dominated the game but were less clinical in front of goal before they were reduced to 10 men in the second half of the game.
Chris Nweze put the seven-time African champions ahead in the 65th minute with an assist from former Golden Eaglets winger Wisdom Ubani.
Nigeria were reduced to 10 men in the 75th minute as goal scorer Nweze was shown a red card.
The Junior Elephant of Cote d’Ivoire levelled the game in the 90th minute to secure a point.
Nigeria’s next game is against Ghana on December 9 and a must-win game for the flying eagles to have any hope of proceeding to the next round.
The winner of the WAFU U-20 Zone B tournament will qualify automatically for the 2021 CAF U-20 AFCON in Mauritania.
Read more on our Sport News Page
- Young Man stabbed to death while filming a music video in London (photos)
- ”No room for laziness and unfruitfulness”- COZA pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo backs Bishop Oyedepo over sacking of pastors
- See what Bishop David Oyedepo said after sacking multiple pastors from Winners Chapel (video)
- Taliban beheads Afghanistan interpreter for US Army as militant group dominates almost 90% of Afghan territory following US withdrawal of military troops
- Bandits kill 3 persons, set ablaze military armoured vehicle in Zamfara