Arsenal has terminated the contract of defender, Sokratis Papastathopoulos by mutual consent.
The Greece international has not played in any competition for the Gunners this season after falling out of favour under boss Mikel Arteta.
He joined Arsenal for £17.6million in July 2018 from Borussia Dortmund and won the FA Cup during his time at the Emirates, making a total of 69 appearances.
And the club have confirmed he has now left.
In a statement, the Arsenal said, “Working closely with Sokratis and his team, we have decided to cancel his contract by mutual consent.
“This gives Papa the freedom to negotiate a contract with a new club and return to action as soon as possible.”
Sokratis was out of contract at the Emirates Stadium this summer and technical director Edu sent his thanks to the departing defender.
Technical director Edu said, “On behalf of Mikel, our coaches, players and everyone at the club, I would like to thank Papa for his contribution to the club.
“He has been an important part of our group and has been a model professional throughout. The negotiations to end his contract have been collaborative and we wish Papa and his family well for the future.”
The former AEK Athens defender, 32, is out of contract in the summer and is keen to secure a move away from north London this month.
He featured for the club’s Under-21s and U23s towards the end of last year in a bid to retain his sharpness ahead of a potential move away.
The news comes amid Mesut Ozil’s imminent move to Fenerbahce.
Read more on our Sport News Page
- EVIL!!! Man In Police Custody For Stabbing His Wife With Kitchen Knife
- DISGRACE!!! Lady Stripped Naked, Beaten Mercilessly For Stealing Bone Straight Hair Worth Of N200,000
- WAHALA!!! See How Daughters Fight Ogboni Confraternity Who Tried To Take Their Father’s Corpse Away During Burial Ceremony
- Kim Kardashian To Keep $60m Hidden Hills Home Amid Divorce From Kanye West
- YAWA!!! “Marry Her Or Go To Jail” Man Who Raped Mad Woman Forced To Choose