Real Madrid forward, Karim Benzema is to face trial for his alleged involvement in an attempted blackmail case linked to a sex tape featuring a former France team-mate, Mathieu Valbuena, French prosecutors announced on Thursday.
Benzema, 33, who has not been selected for his country since the affair came to light in 2015, is accused of paying individuals to extort money from Valbuena by threatening to make the video public.
The 33-year-old French striker argues that a police officer used dishonest methods to draw him into the affair.
French prosecutors announced Benzema would face trial on Thursday, reported the AFP News Agency.
AFP also quoted Benzema’s lawyer, Sylvain Cormier, as saying he was not surprised the matter was going to trial, but that the decision was “as absurd as it was predictable”.
Benzema has scored 261 goals for Real since joining the Spanish side in 2009.
He and Valbuena were international team-mates at the time of the affair and were in the France squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Valbuena, 36, was playing for Lyon at the time but is now with Greek side Olympiakos.
Read more on our Sport News Page
- World’s Oldest Wild Bird Hatches New Chick At Age 70
- ‘Nobody will be able to travel the world soon without a COVID-19 vaccination certificate’ – PTF
- Nollywood Actress, Remi Surutu Gives Reason For Slapping Fathia Balogun At An Event
- British Singer, Adele And Simon Konecki Finalise Divorce Two Years After Their Separation
- Police Arrest Pretty Mike Over Breach Of COVID-19 Protocols