China has dismissed Washington’s declaration that Beijing was committing genocide against Uighurs and other minorities, describing it as “outrageous lies” and “poison” on Wednesday.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, Hua Chunying blamed the declaration of genocide on outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, accusing him of fabricating “sensational false propositions” throughout his term in office.
Pompeo said on Tuesday that Beijing’s sweeping incarceration of mostly Muslim minorities in the far western Xinjiang region amounted to genocide and crimes against humanity.
“We are witnessing the systematic attempt to destroy Uighurs by the Chinese party-state,” Pompeo said, in final broadsides at Beijing after a combative near three-year tenure as America’s top diplomat.
Hua on Wednesday said genocide had “never happened in the past, is not happening now and will never happen in China”.
Rights groups say at least one million Uighurs and other Turkic-speaking Muslims are incarcerated in camps in Xinjiang.
Witnesses and activists say that China is seeking to forcibly integrate the Uighurs into the majority Han culture by eradicating Islamic customs, including by forcing Muslims to eat pork and drink alcohol — both forbidden by their faith.
Read more on our World News Page
- EVIL!!! Man In Police Custody For Stabbing His Wife With Kitchen Knife
- DISGRACE!!! Lady Stripped Naked, Beaten Mercilessly For Stealing Bone Straight Hair Worth Of N200,000
- WAHALA!!! See How Daughters Fight Ogboni Confraternity Who Tried To Take Their Father’s Corpse Away During Burial Ceremony
- Kim Kardashian To Keep $60m Hidden Hills Home Amid Divorce From Kanye West
- YAWA!!! “Marry Her Or Go To Jail” Man Who Raped Mad Woman Forced To Choose