France has imposed new border controls on Sunday as part of an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
After a slow start to vaccinations, French health authorities reported that a million people had received coronavirus inoculations by Saturday.
But stubbornly high new rates for infections, hospitalisations and Covid deaths fuelled fears France may need another full lockdown, which would be the third, inflicting yet more devastation on businesses and daily lives.
Starting Sunday, arrivals to France from European Union countries by air or sea must be able to produce a negative PCR test result obtained in the previous 72 hours.
The requirement had already applied to non-EU arrivals since mid-January.
EU travellers entering France by land, including cross-border workers, will not need a negative test.
Some 62,000 people currently arrive in French airports and sea ports from other EU countries every week, according to Transport Minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbari.
Paris’s main international airport Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle has set up testing centres in a terminal dedicated to intra-EU flights to allow arriving passengers who failed to obtain a test in their country of origin to get one before passing immigration.
The French health agency on Saturday reported 23,924 new Covid cases in the previous 24 hours, and 321 new coronavirus deaths, taking the French death toll to 72,877.
The total number of hospitalised Covid patients stood at 25,800, of whom nearly 2,900 were in intensive care.
Read more on our World News Page
- BBNaija Organizers Announces Lockdown Edition Reunion (Video)
- BBNaija’s Ozo reveals how he handles his female admirers as a superstar
- Alexei Navalny Stripped Of ‘prisoner Of Conscience’ Status By Amnesty International Over His Comments That Compared Immigrants To Cockroaches
- “Let Bobrisky come out without makeup to challenge me” – Upcoming crossdresser, Michelle Page challenges Bobrisky to a beauty contest (Video)
- Truck Driver Crushes Four Hawkers To Death In Anambra As He Was Trying To Escape From Revenue Collectors