Manchester City boss, Pep Guardiola revealed that Joao Cancelo’s controversial goal in Tuesday’s League game against West Brom confirmed the importance of playing to the whistle.
Cancelo’s 20th-minute strike came as several West Brom players stopped in anticipation of the referee blowing for offside after the assistant’s flag was raised in the build-up.
But after checking with the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) the referee allowed the goal to stand.
“I understand the complaints from the West Brom players and the manager,” Guardiola told newsmen.
“But with this rule you have to follow the action until the end. Don’t stop because with VAR it can be disallowed.
“It is a good lesson for us. Today it happened to West Brom, but it could happen to us.”
Ilkay Gundogan scored twice, and Riyad Mahrez and Raheem Sterling also got on the scoresheet to seal City’s seventh straight Premier League win.
Manchester City have moved top of the table on 41 points, one ahead of Manchester United, who play bottom club Sheffield United later on Wednesday.
Read more on our Sport News Page
- British Singer, Adele And Simon Konecki Finalise Divorce Two Years After Their Separation
- Police Arrest Pretty Mike Over Breach Of COVID-19 Protocols
- Soldiers Feared Killed In Bandits Attack On Military Base In Katsina
- EVIL!!! Man In Police Custody For Stabbing His Wife With Kitchen Knife
- DISGRACE!!! Lady Stripped Naked, Beaten Mercilessly For Stealing Bone Straight Hair Worth Of N200,000