A petrol tanker has been gutted by fire along the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway in Lagos State.
It was gathered that the driver was conveying the petrol-laden truck to a destination in the state when he suddenly lost control of the vehicle, causing the truck to overturn around 9.30 am, The PUNCH reports.
The petrol spilt on the road immediately the truck overturned and reportedly caused the explosion on the Apakun Bridge in the Iyana Isolo area of Oshodi.
To escape unhurt, commuters and business owners scampered from the scene of the incident as the area went up in flames.
The Director-General, Lagos State Management Agency, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said the fire incident happened after the body of the truck disconnected from the head, adding that emergency responders had stormed the scene of the incident to rescue the situation.
He said, “The agency has activated its emergency response plan after a fuel tanker caught fire after the body detached from the vehicle head.
“Responders are on the scene to extinguish the fire. Motorists are to use alternative routes. Further updates will be communicated.”
Firefighters were at the scene of the incident and battling the fire as of the time of filing this report.
Officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority were also on the ground diverting vehicles to alternative routes to avoid casualties.
Read more on our Metro News Page
- ‘June Should Be The Date. Undisputed’ – Anthony Joshua Hints At Showdown Date With Tyson Fury
- Ten Policemen Injured In Auto Crash Involving Bauchi Governor’s Convoy
- Police Arrest Two Men In Ogun For Gang Raping A 16-year-old Girl
- Ex-French President, Nicolas Sarkozy Found Guilty Of Corruption And Sentenced To Jail
- Female Students Sent Home Over Spiritual Attack In Benue School