Zimbabwe’s Minister for Manicaland Provincial Affairs, Ellen Gwaradzimba has died of COVID-19 complications on Friday, according to Zimbabean media.
She was 60 years old.
Gwaradzimba is the second serving Zimbabwean politician to die of coronavirus after Perrance Shiri – minister for Lands, Agriculture and Rural Resettlement – who died in July last year.
Deputy Sports Minister Tinoda Machakaire said Gwaradzimba, 60, died of COVID-19.
“It is with a very sad heart that I inform you of the passing on of the Minister of State for Manicaland Provincial Affairs.
“We have been robbed once again of a hardworking and dedicated cadre.
“I am praying for peace and comfort for her family and those of us who knew her.”
An official announcement was expected from the Office of the President and Cabinet later on Friday.
Ruling ZANU PF sources said the provincial minister passed away at a Harare hospital where she was receiving treatment after being moved from Mutare, the provincial capital of Manicaland.
The death comes amid a spike in the number of COVID-19 infections, with the Ministry of Health announcing on Friday that Zimbabwe had recorded a record 1,112 cases and 47 deaths in the last 24 hours.
Read more on our World News Page
- British Singer, Adele And Simon Konecki Finalise Divorce Two Years After Their Separation
- Police Arrest Pretty Mike Over Breach Of COVID-19 Protocols
- Soldiers Feared Killed In Bandits Attack On Military Base In Katsina
- EVIL!!! Man In Police Custody For Stabbing His Wife With Kitchen Knife
- DISGRACE!!! Lady Stripped Naked, Beaten Mercilessly For Stealing Bone Straight Hair Worth Of N200,000