It has been confirmed that the brain of the Late NFL star, Vincent Jackson will be donated to scientists researching CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy), CBS Tampa affiliate WTSP-TV reports.
The 12-year veteran of the NFL and 3-time Pro Bowl wide receiver was found dead on Monday, Feb 15, by a housekeeper in a hotel room at the Homewood Suites hotel in Brandon, Florida, located in the Tampa area.
Authorities are now suggesting that he may have suffered from alcoholism and the concussion-linked brain disease, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is better known as CTE.
A spokesperson for his family who confirmed to CBS Tampa affiliate WTSP-TV, Allison Gorrell, said Jackson’s brain will be sent to Boston University to determine whether he suffered from the degenerative brain disease.
The Hillsborough County Medical Examiner’s Office has said it could take months before an autopsy is completed as questions surrounding Jackson’s death still remain unanswered.
A report from the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office revealed that, for two straight days, staff of the Brandon, Florida hotel where Jackson’s body was found Monday had seen the former Bucs player “slouched over” on a couch in his room.
It wasn’t until the third-day workers called authorities, who determined he’d been dead.
- Governor Kayode Fayemi Visits Widow Of Air Force Personnel (Photos)
- ‘Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I didn’t give you all my money, all my love and my younger years’ – Ifu Ennada says as she reminiscences spending all her money on ex-lover
- Super Falcons Thrash Equatorial Guinea 9-0 to Win Turkish Women’s Cup (Video)
- Governor Seyi Makinde orders immediate reopening of Shasha market
According to the same report, a small cut was found on Jackson’s big toe, but no other visible signs of injury were found.
The report also says Jackson had a history of alcohol use and used smokeless tobacco. But it doesn’t draw any conclusions about his cause of death. Jackson didn’t have a known history of drug use, the summary added.
According to Boston University, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, know as CTE, is a degenerative brain disease commonly found in “athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma.”
Jackson spent 12 seasons in the NFL with the then-San Diego Chargers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Jackson was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2009, 2011, and 2012. He last played in 2016 and announced his retirement from the NFL in 2018.
Read more on our Sports News Page
- Cemetery Worker Dies After Grave He Was Digging Collapsed On Him
- Police Arrest Ogun Deputy Speaker For ‘breach Of Public Peace’
- ‘The North Should Not Forget That Petroleum Comes From The South’ – Afenifere Speaks On Strike Action By Cattle Dealers
- Governor Abubakar Bello Receives Freed Kagara Schoolboys And Their Teachers (Photos)
- ‘Aregbesola did not receive any salary in his eight-year stint as governor in Osun’ – Aide