Porto and Braga’s players were forced to push an ambulance that broke down away from the pitch on Wednesday during their Portuguese Cup clash.
During an action-packed Taca de Portugal semi-final first leg at the Braga Municipal Stadium, Braga defender David Carmo suffered a horrific ankle injury which required the emergency services to attend to the player on the field.
With the hosts 1-0 down, Carmo threw himself at the ball to prevent Porto’s Luis Diaz from doubling the visitors’ lead.
However, after making the lunging dive, both sets of players frantically waved to the sidelines to get help for the 21-year-old immediately as he clutched his ankle.
After a VAR intervention, Diaz was sent off for his high challenge on Carmo as the ambulance made its way onto the pitch to tend to the stricken Braga defender.
After being loaded onto a stretcher and placed inside the emergency vehicle, the ambulance failed to start again, leaving the driver red-faced while requiring a push off the field so the game could get started again.
With the ambulance stranded, both sets of players provided a helping hand and helped give the large vehicle a push-start before the engines kicked back in again.
As a result of Carmo’s injury, the match official added on 12 minutes of injury time at the end of the second half, with Porto looking to keep ahold of their lead with just 10 men.
It didn’t take long for the visitors to be reduced to nine after Mateus Uribe was sent off for his own horrific tackle during that time.
Braga got their equaliser deep into stoppage time with Fransergio Barbosa popping up with a goal in the 12th minute of added on time to leave the semi-final tie finely balance going into the second leg.
It remains to be seen what exactly is the extent of Carmo’s injury but it appears very likely that he will not return for the second leg on March 3.
Watch the video below:
Read more on our Sport News Page
- Ramadan fast: Hisbah police arrest over 10 persons for eating during the day in Kano
- See the reason why husband burnt all his wife’s certificates
- RACISM AT ITS PEAK? White Texas students disciplined after creating ‘slave trade’ group on Snapchat that assigns price tags to their black classmates
- “My sons have not taken care of me … I give my daughter my property absolutely as she has taken care of me for all these years” – Three brothers fight their sister after their mum gave all of her £850k will to her
- Police arrest two siblings for allegedly beating their brother to death over their late father’s property in Imo