The Ekiti state government has ordered an investigation after members of its Internal Revenue Service, locked up a nursery school with the staff and pupils inside.
A video of a parent complaining bitterly about how the pupils have been locked inside the school premises since morning without parents having access to their children has gone viral.
The aggrieved parent said it would have been better for the task force to give prior notice to parents so they can come in to take their children instead of locking them inside the school.
According to reports, the school premises was locked over the failure of its management to pay their tax.
Reacting to the viral video, the government in a statement released condemned the act of the task force members adding that the state government will not condone such an act.
The statement read, ”The attention of the Government of Ekiti State has been drawn to a viral video alleging that enforcement officers of the Ekiti State Internal Revenue Service sealed off a private school, with children inside.
“The circumstances surrounding this event are being investigated and a comprehensive statement will be issued once concluded. At this material time, the referenced school has been visited and the state government can confirm that it is untrue that children are being held.
- Governor Kayode Fayemi Visits Widow Of Air Force Personnel (Photos)
- ‘Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I didn’t give you all my money, all my love and my younger years’ – Ifu Ennada says as she reminiscences spending all her money on ex-lover
- Super Falcons Thrash Equatorial Guinea 9-0 to Win Turkish Women’s Cup (Video)
- Governor Seyi Makinde orders immediate reopening of Shasha market
“Without prejudice to the outcome of the investigation which will be made public very soon, the government assures the public that it is totally unacceptable for children to be maltreated in any way in Ekiti State, and government would not condone such.
“Governor Kayode Fayemi’s administration has been consistent in the fight against discrimination of any kind, and remains committed to ensuring schools are safe spaces for learning and moral instruction.”
Watch the video below:
Read more on our Metro News Page
- Cemetery Worker Dies After Grave He Was Digging Collapsed On Him
- Police Arrest Ogun Deputy Speaker For ‘breach Of Public Peace’
- ‘The North Should Not Forget That Petroleum Comes From The South’ – Afenifere Speaks On Strike Action By Cattle Dealers
- Governor Abubakar Bello Receives Freed Kagara Schoolboys And Their Teachers (Photos)
- ‘Aregbesola did not receive any salary in his eight-year stint as governor in Osun’ – Aide