A 26-year-old man, Sarki Abdul has allegedly committed suicide by drinking a poisonous substance suspected to be sniper over a N300,000 debt in Plateau State.
The incident happened at Dilimi area of Jos North on Sunday, February 21, two days after the Bauchi Poly graduate reportedly told his sister that he was fed up with the world.
A source close to the family told The Nigerian Tribune that Sarki borrowed a sum of N300,000 from his childhood friend to invest in his scrap business with a promise to pay the money back in three weeks time.
It was learnt that the deceased ran into a problem and could not pay back the money as promised but refused to tell his friend about his predicament.
According to the source, Abdul suddenly withdrew to himself and started acting in a strangely, adding that two days before he took the drastic step, he told his sister that he was fed up with this world and preferred to die.
Hours before his death, at about 10:45 am on Sunday, Abdul approached his friend again to tell him that he was duped in the process of investing the money into scrap business and pleaded with him to give him more time to pay him back.
- Governor Kayode Fayemi Visits Widow Of Air Force Personnel (Photos)
- ‘Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I didn’t give you all my money, all my love and my younger years’ – Ifu Ennada says as she reminiscences spending all her money on ex-lover
- Super Falcons Thrash Equatorial Guinea 9-0 to Win Turkish Women’s Cup (Video)
- Governor Seyi Makinde orders immediate reopening of Shasha market
“After this encounter, he went to his shop which is adjacent to his friend’s shop and drank a complete bottle of sniper and fell to the ground. He was taken to Ola Hospital where he was confirmed dead,” said the family source.
Meanwhile, one Nazif Umar Maikwalli described the deceased as a simple, humble, well brought up and hardworking young man.
“I was confused, dumbfounded and almost lost my sense of belongings. How can a humble, simple and well brought up gentleman just give up his life because of 300k debt? I am yet to accept the fact that Abdul malik, left us as a result of that debt. I know him even though I can’t tell much about his present struggle but I know he was such a hardworking chap, focus and brilliant boy with lots of good future ahead of him. He had his ND from Fed poly Bauchi. May your soul rest in peace Sarki.” he wrote.
Read more on our Metro News Page
- ‘We Condemn Their Attempt To Arrest Sunday Igboho’ – Afenifere Reacts
- Traders Defend Themselves Against Touts At Alaba International Market (Video)
- Seven of the 317 Jangebe Schoolgirls escape from their abductors in Zamfara
- ‘Invite Gumi And Shekau First Before Disturbing Me’ – Sunday Igboho
- Ondo State Nurses To Embark On Warning Strike