The Governor of Zamfara state, Bello Matawalle, has revealed that not all bandits who terrorize parts of the country are criminals.
The governor stated this after meeting with President Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Thursday, February 18.
He explained that most of the bandits take up arms due to the injustice meted on them by some members of the society.
“Not all of them are criminals. If you investigate what is happening, and what made them take the laws into their hands, some of them, sometimes were cheated by so-called the vigilante group.
“They normally go to their settlements and destroy property and take their animals. They did not have anyone to speak with, so sometimes, they go for revenge. When the vigilante group attacks them, they go for reprisals. That is exactly what happened
“Some of them are living in settlements close to villages or towns. When there are military operations, the military will go and destroy their property and animals.
- Governor Kayode Fayemi Visits Widow Of Air Force Personnel (Photos)
- ‘Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I didn’t give you all my money, all my love and my younger years’ – Ifu Ennada says as she reminiscences spending all her money on ex-lover
- Super Falcons Thrash Equatorial Guinea 9-0 to Win Turkish Women’s Cup (Video)
- Governor Seyi Makinde orders immediate reopening of Shasha market
“They are angry with such actions sometimes. If you are talking to them, you can understand where they are coming from and their problems.
“It is important for us as leaders to sit down with them and understand what is the genesis. You can’t just conclude that this person is a criminal. You have to listen to him. What led him to go into such activities?
“It is not all Fulanis that are criminals. Some are good citizens, but due to some circumstances, they subscribed to such criminality but when we had the information, we called their leaders and sat with them, they told us their grudges and we sorted out the way the communities and the Fulanis can resolve their issues without any serious crisis,” he said.
Read more on our Metro News Page
- BBNaija’s Laycon finally gives his reason for wearing ‘big shoe’ to Headies Awards
- Davido Finally Breaks Silence On Rumours that He Broke Up With Babymama, Chioma
- Varsity student allegedly beaten to death over N3500 a week to graduation
- Godwin Emefiele announces adjustment of naira to N410/$1
- Catholic lector and six others killed by bandits in Kaduna