A suspected rapist was beaten by an angry mob in Akure, the Ondo State capital on Wednesday for allegedly raping a lady.
The suspect was also alleged to have plucked out the woman’s eyes.
Both the suspect and the victim were reported to be receiving treatment in a hospital.
The PUNCH gathered that a resident of Oluwatuyi area of Akure caught the suspect in the act and raised the alarm.
The mob was said to have beaten him to a pulp.
A witness, who did not want to be identified, stated, “When he was caught, people asked him questions, but he was speaking in Hausa; he could not even say his name or where he came from.”
The source said the arrival of the police prevented the suspect from being set ablaze by the mob.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Tee-Leo Ikoro, confirmed the incident when contacted, saying the suspect was from the Tiv area of Benue State.
The PRO said, “He would have been killed on the spot by the mob. We can’t say if he raped the lady until a doctor proves that. The lady has some bruises on her head and both of them were unconscious when the police got there.
“I have spoken to the lady and the suspect and they are in stable condition; we’re investigating the matter, but we’re trying to allow the suspect to be stable so he can say more.
“The victim’s eyes were not plucked; the two eyes are okay, and the lady only has bruises on the head and a cut also on the head.”
Read more on our Metro News Page
- World’s Oldest Wild Bird Hatches New Chick At Age 70
- ‘Nobody will be able to travel the world soon without a COVID-19 vaccination certificate’ – PTF
- Nollywood Actress, Remi Surutu Gives Reason For Slapping Fathia Balogun At An Event
- British Singer, Adele And Simon Konecki Finalise Divorce Two Years After Their Separation
- Police Arrest Pretty Mike Over Breach Of COVID-19 Protocols