The Atlantic City Hotel and Casino belonging to former US President Donald Trump in New Jersey has been demolished on Wednesday, February 17.
The casino which opened in 1984 during a decade of excess for Trump and other kings of capitalism, was reduced to rubble in 20 seconds by 3,000 sticks of dynamite. At about 9 a.m., a series of controlled explosions were heard before the 39-story building imploded on itself.
The Plaza was the first of 3 casinos Trump owned in A.C., and was the site of some marquee boxing matches and other big events after it opened in 1984. All 3 casinos eventually went bankrupt and Trump left town.
Though it was the most successful casino in Atlantic City for a short period, by the time it closed its doors in 2014, it was the poorest-performing casino in town.
- Governor Kayode Fayemi Visits Widow Of Air Force Personnel (Photos)
- ‘Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I didn’t give you all my money, all my love and my younger years’ – Ifu Ennada says as she reminiscences spending all her money on ex-lover
- Super Falcons Thrash Equatorial Guinea 9-0 to Win Turkish Women’s Cup (Video)
- Governor Seyi Makinde orders immediate reopening of Shasha market
The plaza was purchased by billionaire Carl Icahn in 2016. He also purchased the Trump Taj Mahal, which he later sold to Hard Rock Café International. Carl Icahn currently owns the site and has not announced future plans for it.
Controlled demolition for Trump Plaza was originally scheduled for Jan. 29.
The city had planned to auction off the chance to blow the building up to the highest bidder, pressing the button from anywhere in the world or on scene. Neither came to pass — the demolition was delayed and the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was kiboshed by Icahn.
There were cheers from a viewing party of people who had paid $10 to watch from their cars.
Read more on our Metro News Page
- BBNaija’s Laycon finally gives his reason for wearing ‘big shoe’ to Headies Awards
- Davido Finally Breaks Silence On Rumours that He Broke Up With Babymama, Chioma
- Varsity student allegedly beaten to death over N3500 a week to graduation
- Godwin Emefiele announces adjustment of naira to N410/$1
- Catholic lector and six others killed by bandits in Kaduna