The President of China, Xi Jinping has declared his country poverty-free.
According to Xi, over an eight-year period, nearly 100 million people have been lifted out of poverty due to the nation’s aggressive economic policies.
Speaking at a ceremony in Beijing on Thursday, February 25, Mr Xi said it was a “complete victory” that would “go down in history”.
Xi said the “arduous task of eradicating extreme poverty has been fulfilled”.
“We have achieved the miracle of eradicating extreme poverty.
“According to the current criteria, all 98.99 million poor rural population have been taken out of poverty, and 832 poverty-stricken counties as well as 128,000 villages have been removed from the poverty list,” he said.
- WICKEDNESS! Mother arrested after police rescue 15-year-old girl allegedly confined in a room for 10 years by her parents in Kano; father still on the search (photos)
- WOW! See the moment two UK police officers were caught kissing in patrol car for ’20 minutes’ (video)
- See the moment Lady narrates how she got infected with HIV by her first-ever boyfriend and how she found out he has 3 babymamas
- BREAKING: President of Chad Idriss Déby who just got reelected, extending his 30 years in power, is dead
China announced late last year that it had removed the last remaining counties from a list of poor regions, which officials said meant it had achieved the goal of eliminating extreme poverty by the end of 2020.
But some economic experts have questioned the way China has measured ‘extreme poverty’
In China, extreme poverty is defined as earning less than $620 (£440) a year.
The threshold set by China to define extreme poverty amounts to $1.69 a day at current exchange rates, compared to the World Bank’s global threshold of $1.90, Reuters news agency reports.
Read more on our World News Page
- WOW! Nigerian couple bless with quadruplets after 16 years of marriage (photos)
- WOW! Police arrest Nollywood Actor Baba Ijesha for defiling a 14-year-old girl since she was 7 years old
- See the reason why this man broke bottle on policeman’s head (video)
- Uknown fire sets Katsina State House of Assembly on fire (photos)
- See the moment identical twins meet again after 36 years of separation from birth (Photos)