A school in Makurdi, Benue State has sent its female students home on Monday, following a spiritual attack on seven students of the school.
The school identified as the Universal Basic Education Junior Secondary School in Makurdi, Benue State made the decision on Monday.
The Punch correspondent who visited the school located at Nyinma Area of the state capital learnt that four of the female students were attacked spiritually on Friday while three others were attacked on Monday, necessitating the school authority to send home all the female pupils.
According to the headteacher of the school, Catherine Ahom, who later referred the correspondent to the Education Secretary, the pupils experienced a seizure and complained of chest pain, “from there, they will fall down and some others would be running around.”
The spiritual attack, according to the headteacher is called “Iyor genen” in Tiv language.
When contacted, the Education Secretary, Makurdi Local Government Area Education Authority, Patrick Aese, who allayed fear, said the attack was not contagious but a mere spiritual attack that is rampant in a part of Tiv land.
According to Aese, “It is a spiritual matter. Just go back to the school tomorrow, those children will be back to normal.
“If it were to be at the village, traditionalists know what to administer and within one hour they become normal. They know how they control it to make it subside.
- LOL! Pornhub pick the University Of Ibadan as their African headquarters while replying to tweet asking where in Nigeria will their headquarters be
- WOW! AT LAST! Singer Tems shows off her massive backside in sexy new photos of her in a pool
- Ah! Man beats his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son to death for bedwetting on the sofa
- SHOCKING! See the reason why media personality, Shade Ladipo says late Prince Philip, husband of the Queen of England, will not rest in peace
“It is very common here in Tiv land. There is a particular group of Tiv that is mostly known for it (spiritual attack) but to other places it is alien”.
The Education Secretary further said, “Within the area where it happens frequently, we don’t fear it. We know the limitations and how it can be contained, it is not transferable. The thing started many years ago, our forefathers inherited it.
“It is most common during burial and in most cases while whistling. Noise and some colours like red trigger it among the affected people and when attacked, the affected people will be running and manifesting uncommon strength.”
Read more on our Metro News Page
- Ramadan fast: Hisbah police arrest over 10 persons for eating during the day in Kano
- See the reason why husband burnt all his wife’s certificates
- RACISM AT ITS PEAK? White Texas students disciplined after creating ‘slave trade’ group on Snapchat that assigns price tags to their black classmates
- “My sons have not taken care of me … I give my daughter my property absolutely as she has taken care of me for all these years” – Three brothers fight their sister after their mum gave all of her £850k will to her
- Police arrest two siblings for allegedly beating their brother to death over their late father’s property in Imo