The Tiger Nut Fruit, It’s Nutritious value, Health Benefits, and Method of Preparation.
Tiger nut (Chufa or Cyperus esculentus) is a small, sweet and nutty tuber that is native to Africa and the Mediterranean region. It has a long history of being used as a food and drink in many parts of the world. In recent years, it has gained popularity as a healthy alternative to sugary soft drinks and as a source of several important nutrients and health benefits.
One of the most popular ways to consume tiger nuts is in the form of a drink called horchata de chufa or simply horchata. Horchata is a traditional non-alcoholic beverage made from ground tiger nuts, water and sweetener. It is typically served chilled or over ice, and it may also be flavored with spices such as cinnamon or vanilla.
Health Benefits of Tiger Nut Drink
- High in Fiber and Nutrients: Tiger nuts are a rich source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are particularly high in potassium, magnesium, iron and phosphorus. A 100-gram serving of tiger nuts provides around 9 grams of fiber, which is more than a third of the recommended daily intake for adults. This fiber content helps to promote regular bowel movements, improve digestion and reduce the risk of constipation.
- Helps to Lower Blood Pressure and Cholesterol: Tiger nuts contain a type of soluble fiber called oligofructose, which has been shown to help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Oligofructose is a type of prebiotic, meaning it stimulates the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. These bacteria produce short-chain fatty acids, which have been shown to help lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels.
- Helps to Improve Heart Health: Tiger nuts are also a good source of antioxidants, which can help to protect against the damaging effects of free radicals and reduce the risk of heart disease. In particular, tiger nuts contain a type of antioxidant called hydroxytyrosol, which has been shown to have a protective effect against heart disease.
- Helps to Improve Blood Sugar Control: Tiger nuts have a low glycemic index, meaning they are absorbed slowly into the bloodstream and do not cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels. This makes them a good choice for people with diabetes or at risk of developing the condition.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Tiger nuts contain a type of polyunsaturated fat called oleic acid, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is thought to be a contributing factor in the development of many chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
- Tiger nuts have a history of being used to boost libido. They’re used as aphrodisiacs in Ayurvedic medicine. In addition, men in Nigeria have used tiger nuts for generations to treat erectile dysfunction, increase sperm count, and boost libido
To make a tiger nut drink, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of tiger nuts
- 4 cups of water
- Honey or sugar (optional)
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
Here’s how to make the drink:
- Soak the tiger nuts in water for at least 8 hours or overnight. This will soften the nuts and make them easier to blend.
- Drain the water from the tiger nuts and transfer them to a blender.
- Add 4 cups of water to the blender and blend the mixture until it is smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer to remove any solids.
- Sweeten the drink to taste with honey or sugar, if desired. You can also add a few drops of vanilla extract or a pinch of cinnamon for extra flavor.
- Serve the tiger nut drink chilled, over ice, or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Note: If you prefer a thicker, creamier drink, you can blend the mixture for longer or use less water. You can also add milk or yogurt to the mixture to make it richer.
In conclusion, tiger nut drink is a refreshing and tasty beverage that is also packed with nutrients and health benefits. It is high in fiber, vitamins and minerals, and it may help to lower blood pressure, cholesterol levels and improve heart health. It is also a good choice for people with diabetes or at risk of developing the condition, as it has a low glycemic index and may help to improve blood sugar control. Additionally, tiger nuts contain oleic acid, a type of polyunsaturated fat with anti-inflammatory properties.